Sunday, February 6, 2011

Short rant on procrastination

Me being a lazy ass cat. Cats are professionals at taking it easy.
So I realized I had this essay due this weekend that I completely forgot about. I was a relatively easy essay though, but because it was so easy I pushed it back so far. The thing is, when I procrastinate I try splitting my free time in increments. So, I'd wake up and browse around online for an hour, let's say it's 1 PM by now.
 
"I'll start my essay at...2" is what I say to myself, because I haven't satisfied myself yet. But I don't do anything important in this time frame, or anything interesting, like watching anime (if I get too into it, I'll want to watch more and it will distract me), or reading VNs (easy way to lose track of time). So what am I left with? Just browsing online, lurking 4chan and constantly refreshing stuff for a full hour. An hour I could have spent doing something else, at least playing games or something. But by the time it's 2, I don't feel ready to do the essay yet. "2:30 then, really."

So I go and maybe take a shower or something to increase blood flow a little. But wait, I haven't eaten yet! No worries, at 3 I'll get started! Oh no, I suddenly feel sleepy now that it's 3, maybe I should nap a bit. I mean, there's no use in doing an essay while sleepy, right? I'll make sure it's just a 15 minute nap. Damn, 15 minutes passed already? I'm still sleepy. I'll just set the alarm for another 15 minutes.

Crap like this goes on the whole day. I know I'm making excuses to procrastinate, and it does more harm than good anyway because I waste the day for an essay that I could have done at the start of the day and be over with, leaving me the rest of the day to do whatever I want without worrying about meeting a deadline that I set for myself. I usually get stuff on time, but last minute. 

I was supposed to do the 999 review this weekend, but I kept saying "after my essay because I don't want to get caught up in writing it up" which is kinda how I keep myself from watching anime or playing games or something while in my procrastination stage. Maybe if I actually satisfied myself by playing a game or watching anime, or whatever, I'd actually stop procrastinating because I'd feel more relieved. But I never do this.

So tomorrow is class for me, but I don't have anything after, so I should have my 999 review up then. I actually wrote it up a bit before doing this entry, but realized I had to go in game for a few screenshots I wanted and didn't feel like doing that right now. I have to head off it a bit to wake up early for tomorrow's classes anyway, so I'll do a quick daily Japanese study session and maybe watch an episode of Aria to calm me down before I sleep.

~ Kirari ミ★

15 posts:

Jerry said...

I'm a lazy ass cat too. I hate procrastinating as well but there's no way to avoid it. I don't think you'll be satisfied by actually doing something before writing your essay. You might put off your essay even longer.

Mari said...

That's pretty much 100% exactly what happens when I procrastinate too. ;_;

You're not aloneee~~~

MixedNuts said...

Essay is the worse thing to deal with for me, especially if they want you to write a lot...

Hip-Hop Hikikomori said...

I do that all the time as well. I'd go as far as saying that the form of procrastination you just described is part of my everyday life.

Though I like writing essays, so I would usually get those out of the way as soon as possible. Anything else would suffer the hammer of procrastination.

cooperlife said...

I procrastinated getting around to finally reading your blog... how ironic.

Cpt.Awesome said...

I more or less fall into the same pattern. I can usually work on essays from start to finish easily...if I can manage to start it.

Anonymous said...

>Cats are professionals at taking it easy.

They truly are.

I get uber-procrastinated like that at times. I tend to get immensely stressed though. Everyone has their own method of doing their work. Personally I like to plan it out and get it over with as quickly as possible. Make sure you're satisfied to a degree, and find a balance between the two. Best of luck.

Faiz Faults said...

I can definitely relate to this, tho my procrastinating style is somewhat different (I like to 'multitask', only to end up focusing more on those other little things)

Copyboy said...

Looks like the class and 999 is cutting into the TV time.

C said...

>I'll just set the alarm for another 15 minutes.
I do this like 6 times when trying to wake up every morning.

I tend to procrastinate when I'm over-worked or stressed, and procrastination in turn helps me to become more stressed, it's a sort of horrible cycle.

Damien said...

Hahaha. I end up thinking about my work while I'm procrastinating, so it doesn't end up too badly for me...

Tigoris said...

>and maybe watch an episode of Aria to calm me down before I sleep.

I've done this so many times. That show is imbued with the magical ability to relieve stress.

A funny thing I've done before to fight off procrastination is to make a game of it. I make a little list of things I need to do and rank something waaaaaaaaaaaaay up in the list - it HAS TO BE DONE! I then promptly make excuses and do everything else on the list to avoid it for as long as possible. The trick is to rank something stupid or unimportant as that number one thing to get done. Pretend like it's going to be a pain in the arse and avoid doing it for as long as you can by doing those other things.

It's really silly and stupid, but I swear it's worked for me more than once.

librarian said...

This always happens to me. In fact I just wasted the whole day like that and mostly napping when I had important things to get done and sent off, but I'll have to do it later now.

link said...

I do that all the time as well.

>I'll just set the alarm for another 15 minutes.
>I do this like 6 times when trying to wake up every morning.

And this.

AKIBA-POP! said...

...bernkastel cat?

Post a Comment