Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Kirari returns with cool stories with a side of Takoluka


Alright, so I'm past the initial hook of my Marvel vs Capcom 3 addiction and settled down a bit so I don't have to stay on the game all day. I should continue normal posting starting tomorrow. I have a few images from my Flandre Nendoroid that just came in last week, so I'll be doing a review of her. I was thinking of reviewing Takoluka, but there's not much for me to really talk about, so I may just make a brief post tomorrow with cute pictures of her if I feel like doing so.

I might as well use this post to stuff in a few short cool stories to fill some space up. First of all, yesterday I went to my usual Japanese bookstore to pick up Yotsubato volume 10. I was also looking to see if they had that new Madoka Magika manga, but sadly they didn't have it in stock. I asked at the counter for them to special order it for me though, so I'll go pick it up whenever they receive it. 

I remember /jp/ had a thread about places in New York and mentioned that another bookstore called Bookoff is just a few blocks away from Kinokuniya, and sells Japanese books at very low prices. Well, I decided to give it a look, and wow. They're used books, but they're mostly in new condition, as if taken right off the shelf of a new bookstore. I managed to get Oyasumi Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei 20, Mirai Nikki 3, and Kodomo no Jikan 1-5 from the $1 section. All in good condition. Also picked up Oyasumi Punpun 2 which was about $5, if I remember correctly. I'm very satisfied with the store, and will of course be doing business with them again.

I missed the deadline on a test from one of my online courses, but I didn't make a big  deal about it. Taking it easy, it's just something that can't be helped. The professor is a crab so I don't even feel like emailing her to ask if there's any way I can take a makeup exam. It does annoy me that she also gave a research topic that's limited to 1 internet source and 2 library sources. Honestly, I don't really understand the logic behind this. If you can find the information needed, it shouldn't really matter where you got the information from. Information is information, regardless of where you get it. I really dislike when instructors live in the past like this. I'm in no way belittling printed books by insinuating that they're no longer useful. Of course there are still things that are simply better found in books than on the internet, the internet doesn't have everything on it. But at the same time, the internet certainly has enough resources to complete a research paper in depth. I supposed if I was doing a thesis on something, I'd want to dig deeper into as many sources as I could get, but if it's just a simple essay then I shouldn't have to go out of my way when everything I need is at my fingertips. 

What makes this whole situation even worse is that the class this essay is for is, ironically, a Computer Science course. Now tell me, why the hell would I go to the library and pick out a printed book to do research on web design? What is the logic behind this? Literally everything I need for this research topic is right online for me to look up. I really doubt there's any books I can find that will tell me something about web design that I couldn't find out already on the internet. If I was doing a history paper? Sure, I may not agree with getting information from books if I can find it on the internet, but at least books give the chance of boring old dudes that write personal experiences of their time in World War II or something. But web design? Come on. I guess I'll just download am ebook or something, because I'm too lazy to go to the library just to pick out a PHP guide or something for reference.

That aside, tomorrow is my court date to fight the ticket I mentioned in a blog post last month. It was moved 3 times, but I haven't gotten notice of a new date yet, so I'm assuming that tomorrow is the real final date. I'll head over there tomorrow and hopefully get this settled so I don't get legally robbed of $75. I'll watch the newest episode of Kimi ni Todoke and get some sleep. Win or lose the case tomorrow, I'll probably just come home and celebrate, or take it easy, by playing some Marvel vs Capcom 3.

Until then

~ Kirari ミ★

11 posts:

Kirari Star said...

Before I watch my Sparkly Bubbles animu I'll check up on what I've missed this past week from your blogs. Or at least briefly. I'll give a deeper look tomorrow.

Hip-Hop Hikikomori said...

Welcome back.

>1 internet source and 2 library sources. Honestly, I don't really understand the logic behind this.

Me neither. I always hated this. Your point about it with web design is completely and utterly true. No fucking point.

>the internet doesn't have everything on it

If it's not on the internet, it doesn't exist for all I know.

>I'll head over there tomorrow and hopefully get this settled so I don't get legally robbed of $75

Good luck!

>take it easy, by playing some Marvel vs Capcom 3

MvC3 is not a game I associate with taking it easy. If it were me, I'd just rage myself to death while playing it.

>I'll check up on what I've missed this past week from your blogs. Or at least briefly.

Even briefly, that is quite the chore! Sorry for the huge filler comment.

Jerry said...

That bookstore sounds awesome. I wish I could pick up some titles for only $1. Now I'm jelly.

Maybe you could fake it and just get all of your information from the internet. I doubt your professor will investigate your sources thoroughly.

>I'll head over there tomorrow and hopefully get this settled so I don't get legally robbed of $75.

The suspense, please inform us of what happens.

SugoiSugoi said...

That bookstore sounds great. I wish there was stuff like that around here.

Good luck with your ticket.

Cpt.Awesome said...

I visit my local Bookoff around 2-3 years ago. It was my first time there and I noticed a section that had Chinese girl cartoon pictures on the book's spine. I was embarrassed and I put it back when I realized it was an ero game artbook.

MixedNuts said...

Welcome back. It's said I will never find deals like that in Toronto or it's because I don't want to find deals.

RetroSpider said...

I hear you on MvC3 addiction. I just stopped playing it today to TRY to take a break. Fighting urge as we speak lol.

serenity said...

I hope you enjoy your Takoluka. I got the angry faced one, she's glaring at me from the top of my monitor.

>limited to 1 internet source and 2 library sources

That sounds pretty retarded. What's the rationale for even limiting the number of sources in the first place? And it's not like being printed on paper automatically makes information more reliable.

Tigoris said...

I've seen the "must use at least X print sources" crap before. I usually just find a scan of a book online and treat it like it was the actual book.

And I know I have said so before, but I am deeply jealous that you have stores with Japanese merchandise. I've searched (and asked) everywhere I can think of and haven't found anything.

Kirari Star said...

Thanks for the welcome messages guys. Just came back from court, I'll make another post after I play a bit of MvC3 and go through my daily Japanese studies.

@HHH
No need to apologize for lengthy comments, I read like getting nice comments.

@Cpt.Awesome
Oh, well there was some dude in the Boys Love section looking at titles. I didn't bother him though.

@RetroSpider
I know, right?

@serenity
Indeed, I really don't understand. Research is research. If you can find it online, then I don't see any point in going out of your way to a brick and motar library to pick up a book. It shouldn't matter how you get your information, what should matter is the information yourself, and if the sources can actually be cited to prove that you got it from somewhere.

@Tigoris
Yeah, living in New York gives you the kind of diversity for these little things. I might head over to the store next week to pick up some more stuff. I didn't see のんのんびより there, but I can probably find it if I look a bit more. Their sections were too huge, and I didn't know if it was a magazine manga or anything to narrow down my search.

link said...

>I managed to get Oyasumi Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei 20, Mirai Nikki 3, and Kodomo no Jikan 1-5 from the $1 section

I wish I could get manga that cheap as well.

>Just came back from court

Hope it went well!

Post a Comment