Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Sanae Challenge! Fusion


Alright, so here's a game most people seemed to have overlooked in the C78 rush. This won't really be a review, since I just started it myself so haven't gotten the feel for it. It's a sequel to Sanae Challenge, but I've never played the original! 


Moving on, the premise of this game is that you're Sanae and you're defeating Kedama and sealing up the places they're coming from. Sanae has two forms of attacks: shooting stars, and creative a vacuum to suck everything up (her most useful attack). Sanae can also walk and float in the air, which is a bit awkward to control at first but not too hard when you're used to it.


Okuu comes along mid-level and decided to help Sanae out. She mostly kicks on her own, but I can't get her to do much more. I know there's a way to activate her nuclear blasts and such, but I'm not sure how. I'll read the manual for it later, I guess. The in game dailogue goes too fast and there's too much for me to actually read.

That big percentage thing that's near the top of the display bar is actually your health. It's constantly going down, like a timer, and also goes down when you get hit. You refill it every time you seal one of those dark hole thingies that these little critters are coming out of. When you reach 1505, you can press attack and jump at the same time to activate God Mode, which increases Sanae's attack, gives her more range, can kill the fuzzies rather than knocking them out, and also gives her invincibility.  


And, of course, there's boss fights at the end of each stage.

Unfortunately, I stuck too much right now to beat Nitori ;_;
The music in this game is pretty cute too. Just like the artwork. Did I mention the artwork? Look at those cute sprites, just look at em. This game has so much cuteness in it, I'm about to look for the spritesheet so I can make icons out of their cuteness. 

But back to the music, it has some pretty cutesey mixes of Touhou themes you'd expect. I haven't heard much since I'm not past the 1st stage yet, and I'm too stubborn to look at other playthroughs and such, so I'm only going by the handful of tracks I've already heard.

Oh, and the game also has extras. I'm sure you get coins from...whatever, completing stages? Well, you use these coins to buy stuff in the extras menu. Since I have no coins yet, I can't really show you guys much, but here's how the menu looks!


I might translate the options later if I'm not too lazy. The above screenshot shows the menu to buy desktop wallpapers, so that's pretty cool.

Overall, it's a pretty addictive game. I'm getting better as I play along. I said in the beginning this won't really be a review, but after finishing it, I'd say it'd pass as a half-assed review. I don't think there are any other English reviews on this game yet anyway. The only ones I find on Google are too brief, but maybe I just didn't look hard enough. Give it a try if you're looking to kill time, it's pretty simple and surprisingly addictive.

~ Kirari ミ★

9 posts:

Buff Drinklots said...

You and your Touhou obsession.

LoneIslander said...

I think I know someone who might have played thus already.

Hip-Hop Hikikomori said...

Why is it always Sanae?

>That big percentage thing that's near the top of the display bar is actually your health. It's constantly going down, like a timer, and also goes down when you get hit.

Holy shit, that sounds annoying. Systems like these make me want to spoon my eyes out and eat them.

I'll give it a try whenever I get a new computer. This computer's hard drive is just too filled with shit for me to load it with any more.

Forever backlog. ;_;

SugoiSugoi said...

A platformer? I'll have to give this a try. I still haven't finished New Super Marisa Land though.

Jerry said...

I know I would love to play this but...

>Forever backlog. ;_;

Cpt.Awesome said...

Touhou, platformer, and cute graphics? Must play.

cubedice said...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_u6CZNfw0OsA/TO14P40NMiI/AAAAAAAAALA/XH_HbtUcT2s/s400/picture013.png

Even in your Touhou platformer, FOE! FOE!

librarian said...

I was going to play this too. I liked what LION HEART has done previously, but I just haven't had time to work through all of my backlog yet.

Is it anything much like Mystical Chain?

Kirari Star said...

I've never played Mystical Chain, so I can't really say.

Post a Comment